Let Go, Standard Library From Community

Brad Anderson brad at dsource.org
Wed Apr 18 08:36:22 PDT 2007

Dan wrote:
> Brad Anderson Wrote:
>> Oh to be a fly on the wall when the current lib doesn't have a function
>> you need...
>
> I can write assembler. I can write D. I can write ECMAScript.
>
> If there's something I need that isn't there, I write it.  I personally
> think there's something wrong with someone who claims to be a programmer
> but *can't* solve a trivial puzzle.
>
> Not knowing what address to write directly to the screenbuffer is
> forgiveable.  Look it up.  Not being able to implement huffman compression
> or a quicksort or binary search, or a jump gate after knowing what you need
> to achieve... well, that means you lost that gleam in your eye you had back
> in kindergarten.
>
> - Dan

That's fine.  You choose to keep your feet on the ground, as opposed to
standing on the shoulders of giants.

No biggie.  It's just kind of reinventing the wheel.  I know it's fun to
implement things yourself at times, and a lot of it has to do with what you're
trying to accomplish.  When time and all the -abilities matter most, I think
your approach is wrong.  Or rather, not the one I would choose.

BA