Let Go, Standard Library From Community

Dan murpsoft at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 18 10:09:21 PDT 2007

Alexander Panek Wrote:

> Dan wrote:
>  > [...]
> > Not knowing what address to write directly to the screenbuffer is forgiveable.  Look it up.  Not being able to implement huffman compression or a quicksort or binary search, or a jump gate after knowing what you need to achieve... well, that means you lost that gleam in your eye you had back in kindergarten.
>
> This is utterly stupid. I am an undergraduate student, claiming to be
> quite a good programmer. I have never implemented one of those, yet I
> can produce proper library & application code... why? Oh..seems like
> someone else solved this already, and I can head forward to the solution
> of my actual problem, without having to care about the obstacles that
> might be in my if I haven't had a pre-made solution.
>
> Wait.. this is kindergarten? I wonder how you pay your rent and earn
> money for food...oh well..you wouldn't need to, when you're in
> kindergarten..

*sigh*
A good programmer needs to be able to do more than simply type down what's blatantly obvious.  They need to be able to overcome obstacles as simple as these.  That was the point of the message.

If you can't overcome something, and be creative - even if your solution isn't a perfect qsort, but maybe you just need to sort, and recreate a decent shellsort instead.  If you can't approach a problem and overcome it, you shouldn't be programming, you should be in data entry and speaking Vorgon (for those who've read/seen Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

You obviously were quite offended by this line of thought.