A different kind of Walter? :-)

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Fri Apr 20 14:14:51 PDT 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> David B. Held wrote:
>>> That being said, I think it would be *particularly* clever of you to
>>> use your start-from-scratch kernel to explore new ideas in
>>> multi-processing and massive multithreading, but this would imply
>>> having decent multi-CPU hardware to play with.
>>
>> I'd also like to see better operating system support for garbage
>> collection - either making gc an operating system service, or
>> providing hooks to the virtual memory subsystem so the gc can tell
>> when pages are dirty.
>
> Same here.  That the OS is aware of context switches and such should
> allow for some clever methods of garbage collection.  I'm actually a bit
> surprised that MS didn't do anything with GC support for Vista, given
> their push with CLI.

Not only that, but I've never even read/heard of any plans to add a GC to any main-stream OS's.

Seems to me there's got to be a reason for this (not having an OS implement a GC). I wonder what
that would be, since now-a-days catering to application development is such a vital thing for any
commercial OS?