Let Go, Standard Library From Community

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sun Apr 22 21:50:45 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Chris Nicholson-Sauls wrote:
>> I tend to tell people that all forms of art seemingly arise from some
>> form of science. Programming just happens to be an artform still
>> closely linked to its base science.  And our own Walter -- if I recall
>> right -- is a prime example of a major developer whose background is
>> in something else.  I'm pretty sure those airplanes didn't require new
>> compilers.
>
> My training is as a mechanical engineer, with an emphasis on jet
> engines. I was fortunate enough to attend a university (Caltech) that
> thoroughly believed that all their sci/eng majors should be well
> grounded in a broad range of fields, and as I've gotten older and wiser
> I see the value in it now.
>
> Caltech requires of all its graduates:
>
> o    3 years of calculus
> o    2 years physics
> o    1 year chemistry
>
> among other courses.

If all you know is CS, then I think you're restricting the kind of work
you can do.  It's not too tough to figure out how to be a competent
programmer coming from a hard science or engineering discipline.  But
going the other way is pretty much impossible.  My tack was to take a
lot of CS courses, because they were fun and relatively easy, but go
with EE as the major.  It was much more difficult, but I'm glad I did it
that way.  The decent grounding in calculus, linear algebra, Fourier
analysis etc that I got from that has allowed me to do things I never
would have been able to consider had I just gotten the CS education.

I've heard that CS departments at schools these days are suffering from
a big drop in the number of majors.  But that seems to me to be as it
should be.  The IT boom brought on a lot of silliness.  You really don't
need a CS degree to do most IT jobs.  Yes, *everybody* needs to know how
work with computers these days to varying degrees.  Just like everyone
needs math to varying degrees.  But that doesn't mean there need to be a
lot of math majors, or CS majors.   Almost everyone takes a class or two
from the math department, but very few major in it.  Likewise, pretty
much everyone these days should have a class or two from the CS dept,
but we don't really need that many majors.

--bb