Let Go, Standard Library From Community

Stephen Waits steve at waits.net
Mon Apr 23 15:00:06 PDT 2007

Jeff Nowakowski wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
> I see this idea mentioned over and over.  "you won't need all this
> baroque knowledge we're feeding you, yet it will help your problem
> solving skills".  Guess what I do when I write programs?  Yep, I solve
> problems.  I learned this skill while learning to program, and every
> time I program it is reinforced.

In this age of specialization, I can understand how you may not use math
in your job.  And, while math might help in problem solving, I don't
think that's why it should be taught.

Math is useful.  When you're tasked with implementing the
backpropagation algorithm to train neural networks, and you get to the
part that says you need to choose an easily differentiable activation
function, then you need some Calculus knowledge.  This is a trivial
example, but the type of thing I run into all the time.

> I've been programming in the industry since 1993.  Most people just
> don't need the math, and if you do, find a converted math major or
> mechanical engineer to help you out (unless they have forgotten all
> their math skills, as many of them do since they never use this stuff!).

Your "most people" is completely different from mine.  In my line of
work, *every* programmer, at minimum, applies linear algebra *every*
day.  Many make frequent use of calculus too.

You may not have needed it in your job, but if you don't have these
skills, don't apply for a job with me.  :)

> You can learn good problem solving skills, communication, etc. while
> actually learning valuable software engineering techniques.  I'm not

Agree.

--Steve