Hijacking

Charles D Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 6 19:58:35 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> eao197 wrote:
>> Eiffel has same feature for more than 20 years and it really works :)
>
> Eiffel has many good ideas, but we must be careful thinking of Eiffel as
> an endorsement, as it failed to catch on. I think one reason it failed
> is because of the syntax.
My suspicion of the reason that Eiffel failed to catch on is
the personality and resultant policies of the designer.  It
took a long time for SmallEiffel to be released...and it's
policies aren't that friendly, either, even though it IS GPL
software.

OTOH, IMNSHO, Eiffel did make a few serious mistakes.  One of
them was in forbidding two different functions (essentially
the same) to be distinguished by their argument list, but not
by their name.  BAD decision.

So you're right when you say "be careful", but don't attribute
most of the failure of Eiffel to it's design.  Other factors
predominated.

Note that D already had three branches DMD1, DMD2, and gdc.
And that they share a lot of the same code (which keeps
duplicate effort to a minimum).

If you want to copy organization policies, copy from Python,
but Eiffel had very many good ideas that a compiler language
could benefit from.  (I'm not as convinced by modern versions
of Eiffel as I was by the earlier ones...but then I've
basically stopped following it, because it kept breaking all
of it's libraries with each new release.  And it never did
become as easy to link to C as D already is.  [Now if only
there was a decent way to manage C++ linkage.])