Overloading/Inheritance issue

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Tue Aug 7 08:46:43 PDT 2007

Reply to Bruno,

> Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> 1) I can touch-type. There's no such thing as using a mouse without
>> looking. Using a mouse is like being forced to type using only your
>> left pinkie, and every program you use has a different keyboard
>> layout.
>>
> Good GUIs understand this, and understand that it's important to have
> several available shortcuts for common tasks. Eclipse in particular is
> designed to be able to work without using the mouse *at all*, and it
> actually has developers testing it's usability that way (ie,
> prohibited from using the mouse), to ensure it works well. Eclipse
> also has an Emacs keybindings setting for text editors.

If I ever manage an app development team, for the first GUI demonstration
I'm going to walk in with a pair of tin snips and cut off the mouse. A bit
dramatic, but I will show how well the UI works from the keyboard.

>> 3) Pipes are cool. Can't do the equivalent with a gui.
>>
> Shell-specific point.

But should it be? How nice would it be to have the full UNIX tool kit available
inside of find and replace (find this pattern, run it through this pipeline,
replace with output). And why stop there? Just yesterday I was mucking around
in some C# and due to some refactoring, I had to add gobs of casts. I would
almost have killed for a semantically aware find and replace (find all errors
where function X has no overload resolution, If adding a cast to Y for the
args fixes it, do that) How about a more general functionality, find and
replace with SQL queries? I could go on but just imagine.

>> 5) Ever tried to do a series of repeated actions with a gui? Like,
>> one by one, save all the emails in a folder to a text file? It's
>> agonizing. With CLI, I'll just dude up a quick batch file using cut &
>> paste, and it's done.
>>
> When I have need for such a thing (a more complicated series of
> actions), I load up the CLI and do it there.

I generally don't even bother with a shell script, just use a pipeline ending
in " | bash"

> When programming, I don't
> recall ever *having the need* to do a series of repeated actions in an
> IDE. Perhaps you can give an example?

build a switch block from an enum where their will be one case per value