[little ot]Re: Newly rewritten developer docs for DSSS

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Thu Aug 9 10:08:44 PDT 2007

BCS wrote:
> Reply to Gregor,
>
>> Olli Aalto wrote:

>>> It would be nice to be able to build and install a project in one go.
>>> For example:
>>> dsss build install
>>> or just
>>> dsss install
>>> (which would do a build if the target is older than its sources).
>>> Also how do I mark a section in dsss.conf to be non-installable?
>>> For example I have a test/demo application for a library which I
>>> don't
>>> want to go to dsss/bin.
>>> O.
>>>
>> Unfortunately, these are both lacks in DSSS, not lacks in its
>> documentation :)
>>
>> The current way to make a section non-installable is to simply make it
>> non-default. This is a fairly new feature so it didn't yet make it
>> into the documentation. Note to self: Add it to the documentation :P
>>
>> That being said, there should be a better way.
>>
>> I've made some tickets:
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/dsss/ticket/105
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/dsss/ticket/106
>> - Gregor Richards
>>

> What is your thoughts on the idea of using miniD as a scripting language
> inside DSSS?
>
> This would go a long ways towards adding the kinds of things I want DSSS
> to do.

I am very strongly considering it. In fact, I have a ticket on it.

The only problem I see is that it would create a big Phobos-Tango
schism. Basically, I'd like to maintain both a Phobos and a Tango
branch, but if I do that, only the Tango branch will have scripting
support. I'd hate for a build to not work because somebody has the
Phobos version of DSSS installed ...

My current consideration is to maintain the library portion in two
branches, so that people making .d files importing DSSS can use either,
but make the binary only compilable with Tango. Since I'll be
distributing binaries, this may or may not be a problem.

Anyway, none of this is going to happen before the conference. I need
things to calm down :)

  - Gregor Richards