Newly rewritten developer docs for DSSS

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Aug 9 22:41:40 PDT 2007

Gregor Richards wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:

> *whew*!
>
> OK, I think that I covered these fairly effectively. When I first wrote
> this doc, I had immediate peer review, but these additions did not, so
> rewording suggestions are welcome.

...[good additions cut]...

>  > And one comment:
>  > - "The 'set' command sets a setting" -- this not a very helpful
>  > description.
>  > It's not clear why you need 'set'.  It says it's for doing things
>  > 'on-the-fly'.  But what does that mean?  Is
>  >    prebuild = echo "Hi"
>  > not on-the-fly?
>
> I changed the wording:
>
> "The 'set' command sets a dsss.conf file setting while DSSS is actually
> running."
>
> Better?

Well, it still basically says "'set' sets a setting", which is defining
a word by using the word.  It doesn't clarify what you mean by a
'setting'.  That should be explained.  Also, it might help if you
explained in the 'set' section more clearly what problem 'set' is
designed to solve.

And as for the 'on-the-fly' part, which you changed to "while DSSS is
actually running" -- are there other commands that do something when
DSSS is not running!?

--bb