Can i use D for OS develop.

Paul Collier paching at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 11:44:29 PDT 2007

knott wrote:
> Paul Collier Wrote:
>
>> knott wrote:
>>> Hello. Before i start, i must apologize for my poor English.
>>>
>>> Can i use D language for OS development(Non-core - user mode devel)?
>> If you're talking about OS development, there are at least two projects
>> to write a kernel in D. You can see them at dsource.org. If you're
>> talking userspace development, I think you'll find that 95% of D
>> projects already run in userspace ;) If you're talking about something
>> in the middle, you can always bind D code to C APIs and disable the
>> garbage collector if needed.
>
> Im talking about a userspace development in system which in early stage of development.
> I want to write program on system which have only small(not full) C library.

OK, you may have to omit some bits of the standard library then. (Or
just not use it.) Whether you use phobos or tango or whatever you like,
the source is provided, so it's pretty easy to add version() statements
to stick in workarounds if you want. Is the system using ulibc or
something of the sort? I wonder how compatible that is...

(Also, this thread might be better to post on D.learn, but I'm not sure)