Stroustrup's talk on C++0x

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Mon Aug 20 05:35:41 PDT 2007

eao197 wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:36:07 +0400, Bill Baxter
> <dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote:
>
>> A lot of you probably saw Bjarne Stroustrup's talk on C++0x on the web.
>> If not here's the link:
>>    http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/media/C++0x%20-%20An%20Overview.html
>
> BTW, there is a C++0x overview in Wikipedia:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B0x
>
> It is iteresting to know which advantages will have D (2.0? 3.0? 4.0?)
> over C++0x? May be only high speed compilation and GC.

I would put my hopes on the macros, type system and other metaprogramming
stuff. Those are areas in which C++ doesn't really shine. I think "We, the
Gods, decided to give you now 2 new keywords - if you ask nicely, the next
release might have 3 more." vs "We give you all the power to create your
own constructs." becomes more apparent now that C++ started to take its
steps towards Lisp expressiveness-wise. Still, if C++1x will implement
these too, there isn't much need for D anymore beside as a syntactic "skin"
for the C++ ugliness.