More DS3 feedback

David B. Held dheld at codelogicconsulting.com
Sun Aug 26 21:35:16 PDT 2007

Ok, being lazy again (and trying to replicate what I think the typical
lazy D programmer will do), I created a dsss.conf like so:

name = myapp
[myapp.d]
[mymain.d]
target = myapp

And my tree looks like so:

src/
   foo/
     bar/
       myapp.d
       mymain.d
       dsss.conf

Of course, when I ran 'dsss build', I got:

   myapp.d(5): module dunit cannot read file 'foo\bar\myapp.d'

So I thought: "Aha!  I need to move dsss.conf to my app root and build
from there"...which resulted in:

   WARNING: Section for nonexistant file myapp.d.
   WARNING: Section for nonexistant file mymain.d.

Now, the reason this is significant, is because these guesses were tried
*after* reading "DSSS by Example" page (very quickly, of course).  After
playing around with it some more, things start to crystallize for me,
and I realize that one little line of explanation would have gone a long
way for me:

   "Thingys in dsss.conf in square brackets are directories or files
   relative to the project root."

I guess you're supposed to infer this from the third example, but my
powers of inference are clearly inferior to Inspector Holmes', so a
conspicuous, explicit statement somewhere early would probably help 90%
of users get started right away and see the magic.  Hope that helps.

Dave

P.S.  You're probably wondering how such an idiot could possibly write
correct D programs; but I assure you it is both possible and much more
common than you might suspect!