The problem with const proposals

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Fri Dec 7 09:05:57 PST 2007

"Gregor Richards" <Richards at codu.org> wrote in message
news:fjbshj$2273$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Not a single person on this board (and I mean NO ONE) has a grasp over
> everything that one can reasonably expect const to do. What we need to do
> is construct a complete list of features that the const system ought to
> have, so that any const proposal can be checked against the "good clean
> const fun" checklist. Instead, what we have is suggestion after
> suggestion, each with good points but each with fundamental flaws. We're
> never going to get anywhere like this because nobody knows what everyone
> needs.
>
> Disclaimer: It is of course impossible to make a list that makes everyone
> happy. C'est la vie.
>
>  - Gregor Richards

I don't really see what your point is.  We should drop const altogether?

I agree with your observation in part.  However, it is beneficial to discuss
and hash out ideas.  Discussion helps everyone understand const better.
Yes, no single person can grasp all the complexities of const, but perhaps
together we can arrive at a better solution.