The problem with const proposals

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Fri Dec 7 09:14:56 PST 2007

Craig Black wrote:
> "Gregor Richards" <Richards at codu.org> wrote in message
> news:fjbshj$2273$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Not a single person on this board (and I mean NO ONE) has a grasp over
>> everything that one can reasonably expect const to do. What we need to do
>> is construct a complete list of features that the const system ought to
>> have, so that any const proposal can be checked against the "good clean
>> const fun" checklist. Instead, what we have is suggestion after
>> suggestion, each with good points but each with fundamental flaws. We're
>> never going to get anywhere like this because nobody knows what everyone
>> needs.
>>
>> Disclaimer: It is of course impossible to make a list that makes everyone
>> happy. C'est la vie.
>>
>>  - Gregor Richards
>
> I don't really see what your point is.  We should drop const altogether?
>
> I agree with your observation in part.  However, it is beneficial to discuss
> and hash out ideas.  Discussion helps everyone understand const better.
> Yes, no single person can grasp all the complexities of const, but perhaps
> together we can arrive at a better solution.

... are we speaking the same language?

My point is that we should, as a group, create (or "hash out") a list of
concepts that const must encompass, rather than creating syntax proposal
after syntax proposal, so that we'll actually have something to test the
syntax proposals against.

  - Gregor Richards