Counting keywords

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Dec 30 05:55:29 PST 2007

Too many keywords may give problems, this is a graph related to the Io language:
http://www.iolanguage.com/about/simplicity/

But I think that using the same keyword to express two or more different meanings may be often worse. You can see a little example here:
http://www.space.unibe.ch/comp_doc/c_manual/C/SYNTAX/static.htm

At end of the page it says, regarding the C language:

>For some reason, static has different meanings in in different contexts.
1. When specified on a function declaration, it makes the function local to the file.
2. When specified with a variable inside a function, it allows the variable to retain its value between calls to the function. See static variables.
It seems a little strange that the same keyword has such different meanings...<

(Such meanings aren't that different...)
So I often don't mind adding some new keywords.

Bye,
bearophile