Dynamic class loading

Pragma ericanderton at yahoo.removeme.com
Fri Feb 2 11:10:39 PST 2007

Henrik Eneroth wrote:
> Pragma wrote:
>  > kris wrote:
>  >> Will DeVore (Quartz) wrote:
>  >>> Just a quick question:
>  >>>
>  >>> Does anyone know if Dynamic class loading will be added to D in the
> relatively near future? And if it is would it follow OSGi's standards?
>  >>>
>  >>> -Will.
>  >>
>  >> Take a look here: http://dsource.org/projects/ddl ?
>  >
>  > The project is admittedly a bit behind (pre 1.0 support only), but
> that's expected to change soon.
>  >
>  > At a minimum, this demonstrates that the hard parts (loading and
> binding of OMF files) are indeed possible; the rest is merely getting up
> to speed with the latest symbol mangling and library support in D.
>  >
> Does dynamic class loading have to be added via libraries a la DDL or
> could we somehow threaten Walter until he adds language-level support
> for it? :)

I don't know what Walter's position is on this stuff.  FWIW, I've noticed that as his time is usually pretty limited,
he's kept to improving the language grammar and compiler itself.  If a third-party library solves a particular problem
for D, it almost never makes it into phobos unless it's a small module that doesn't replace what's already in other
modules.  So since we now have projects like DDL and FlectionD, I seriously doubt Walter will duplicate the effort, just
for the sake of developer convenience.

Also as Walter's time is limited, this means that bugfixes and improvements to various library features will have a
longer turnaround.  IMO, we're better off with lots of small libs than one big core one - even for stuff like this.

--
- EricAnderton at yahoo