TypeInfo and bloated exes - is MingGW toolchain the answer?

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 23:03:33 PST 2007

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:36:09 +0900, Bill Baxter wrote:

> It seems to me that the MinGW tools are pretty much the best and only
> hope if you are going to abandon OMF and OptLink.
>
> Implementing new object/link tools for existing formats from scratch is
> far too much work.  You can also forget about creating a whole new
> object format from scratch.  If you're going to replace OptLink it needs
> to be with something that exists and is standard.
>
> But there's not a whole lot out there in terms of free code for object
> file and library manipulation.  There's OpenWatcom, which also suffers
> from being OMF-based, and apparently has more bugs than D's current
> tools, and then there's MinGW, which works with MS PE-COFF.
>
> Personally, I don't see why on Windows you'd want to use anything other
> than Microsoft's format.  Especially now that you can get their latest
> C++ compiler for free.  Intel's super-optimized compiler is also
> compatible with this format.  Probably others are as well.
>
> Other than the GPL license, it seems like the MinGW tools have
> everything one could hope for.  Is the license the only real problem?
>
> Also -- one thing that I'm not sure about:  Would there be any
> difference between the current GDC and a hypothetical DMD that used
> PE-COFF and MinGW bintools?
>
> --bb

Between OpenWatcom and Mingw, we at least have something to think about.
MingW particularly is not going away anytime soon and has a large
developer base.

This should be investigated. Of course, it's all rather futile if dmd
doesn't commit to outputting files in a compatible format for these tools.

-JJR