TypeInfo and bloated exes - is MingGW toolchain the answer?

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Feb 23 09:00:32 PST 2007

Jascha Wetzel wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> It also only says you can't *build* objects with COFF debug info, but it
>> doesn't say whether MS tool still support *debugging* programs with
>> embedded COFF debug info.
>
> Support for debugging embedded debug symbols is kind of broken in new MS
> debuggers. It's like they crippled that support while updating the
> software. The debugger reads the symbols and you can see them, but it
> doesn't find the source line corresponding to an address, so you can't
> use it.
>
> But isn't this about the linker, anyway? As long as the linker copies
> embedded debug symbols from COFF files correctly to the executable,
> there shouldn't be a problem.

Ah, good point.  I only brought this up because a switch to COFF is seen
as a universally good thing, but if this "new" object format isn't even
supported by MS debuggers any more, then it still may be an issue for
Win32 development.  But I suppose it's pointless trying to chase
changing MS standards.  There are other linkers and debuggers out there
anyway.

Sean