Request: make coff2omf free

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 17:17:51 PST 2007

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 16:43:31 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:

> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Or if it is then maybe Walter should provide a web-based coff2omf
>> service.  $2 a pop, and if it doesn't work you don't pay.  Or something
>> like that.  I might give that a try.  :-)
>
> It's only $15. And I've been known to give refunds to people it didn't
> work for, even though I think each of the utilities in the EUP are
> easily worth $15 by themselves. OBJ2ASM in particular!

Personally, I would say that if a person finds it important to get
a library working with dmc/dmd, then it's worth investing in the
digitalmars tools to give it a shot -- specifically the whole dmc compiler
suite which is reasonably priced.

Otherwise, given all the problems a person can have developing on win32
(specifically while trying to work with old object formats), I'd
suggest moving to a unix type operating system instead where these kind of
problems don't exist.  Since the latter is not a practical solution, you
can also just use mingw -- not the best solution, but at least it's well
supported, and uses /a/ coff format.

-JJR

PS. I speak as one who bought the Digitalmars C/C++ compiler suite from
Walter a few years ago.  I have no complaints about the quality of
software, other than the feeling that some things are outdated.