Request: make coff2omf free

Julio César Carrascal Urquijo jcesar at phreaker.net
Sat Feb 24 18:27:38 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> One thing that Microsoft does is keep changing their omf format. It's a
> full time job just keeping up with that, that's why I gave it up. If I
> ever do update the entire omf toolchain, it'll be to ELF/Dwarf format,
> not because I like them (they are overly complicated) but because being
> ubiquitous on Linux it reduces my workload.

Here's a random idea. Why not update the toolchain to support the COFF
format that MinGW uses? Not Microsoft's, not Borland's. Lots of
libraries support directly MinGW and it would help us a bit interfacing
D code with C or even C++.

Of course the incompatibilities between the different libc and loaders
will still be problems but those are workable if source is available.

What do you think, Walter? It's still too much work and not enough gain?

Thanks