Compiling nedmalloc w/ DMC

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Fri Jan 5 09:13:24 PST 2007

I know some D users are interested in nedmalloc so I thought I would post
this here as well as in the C++ newsgroup.  BTW, I am very impressed with
nedmalloc.  In my C++ code, I gained an overall performance increase of
about 15% by using it.

I've been talking with Niall Douglas, the author of nedmalloc about my
problems with compiling it using DMC.  He says the libraries are outdated.
In addition to the problem posted below, it seems that DMC's kernel32.lib
does not include the required functions TryEnterCriticalSection and
Initialize CriticalSectionAndSpinCount.

On 5 Jan 2007 at 11:33, Craig Black wrote:

> Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Someone told me that it didn't compile
under
> DMC, so to verify I had to find the time to try it myself. nedmalloc.c
does
> compile, but test.c does not. It could be a problem with the Digital Mars
> compiler. Perhaps if we can figure out what the bug is, we can report it.
Or
> maybe there is a quick fix that you could implement to get it working.
> Here's the error messages I get.
>
> C:\nedmalloc>..\dm\bin\dmc test.c -w -c
> HeapSetInformation(win32heap, HeapCompatibilityInformation,
> &data, sizeof(data));
> ^
> test.c(228) : Error: undefined identifier 'HeapCompatibilityInformation'
> --- errorlevel 1
>
> Thanks in advance.

Heh, that's dirt easy! Your friend is using an old SDK which isn't
defining HeapCompatibilityInformation. He can upgrade it, or else
substitute 0 for it. See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-
us/library/aa366705.aspx.

Cheers,

Niall