Survey - what language are you coming from?

rochus rochus at rochus.net
Tue Jan 9 08:06:10 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> I know you all are early adopters of D, and that's a special breed
> different from the vast majority of programmers. But still, it would be
>  useful (in writing documentation) to know what language was your
> primary tool before coming to D. I also know that many of you are handy
> with multiple diverse languages, I just want to know the primary one.
>
> Asm?
> C++?
> C?
> None (D's your first language)?
> Java?
> C#?
> Python?
> Lisp?
> Ruby?
> Delphi?
> Perl?
> Cobol? <g>

Hi,

I'd say I'm comming from Delphi, though that's not fully correct because
there are lot's of languages I had a look at and with few of them I code
different projects. So here are the languges I used to use in order of
time spent on them:

Delphi     - due to my apprenticeship and because I somehow like it. And
             because the IDE is simply the best! (though D2005 was
             somewhat slow...)
PHP        - because I was (am) young and didn't know better. I decline
             writing PHP these days. PHP is just a big security hole
Python     - The one and only scripting language. Best documentation,
             very fast, extensible, very good for agile software dev
             (e.g. eXtreme Programming)
Java       - I have to learn at university at the moment. It's nice
             because of it's platform independence, but this seems to be
             everything that's good about it.
C          - To be able to translate .h files to delphi headers ;) or:
             To understand the linux kernel source and to be able to
             "talk" to all those others using it...
C++        - because I like it the object-oriented way
ASM        - for a project with some friends building a microkernel that
             based on asm+pascal

There are some more I had an eye on, but those are the ones I used to
use and am still using (except PHP)