DMD for win32 may have a bug in option -I

Kirk McDonald kirklin.mcdonald at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 14:19:05 PST 2007

firstrose wrote:
> When I enter
>
> dmd -I"C:\Program Files\dmd\src\phobos" hello.d
>
> it said can't find object.d
>
> but enter
>
> dmd -I"C:\Progra~1\dmd\src\phobos" hello.d
>
> it runs well
>
> Maybe it's a bug

DMD uses an ancient linker, OPTLINK, which doesn't know how to handle
paths with spaces in them. Despite this flaw, Walter is enamoured of
this linker, as it is incredibly fast and optimized.

Because of this, it is customary to not install dmd in Program Files. I
have it in C:\dmd\dmd and C:\dmd\dm, for instance. The installation
instructions recommend C:\dmd and C:\dm. The workaround you discovered
works, also.

--
Kirk McDonald
Pyd: Wrapping Python with D