Should DDoc list all publics by default?

Fri Jul 6 08:52:38 PDT 2007

torhu wrote:
> I find that I sometimes do things like this in order to get dmd to
> include a definition in the doc output:
>
> ///
> struct Point
> {
>     int x;  ///
>     int y;  ///
> }

[snip]

> The suggestion is: Make dmd -D include all public declarations by
> default, even those with no doc comments.  Any opinions, counter
> examples, whatever?

It would be very nice indeed to at least have this as an option (maybe
even the default, with perhaps a switch to turn it off?).

I find it very annoying when reading for instance the Tango docs that I
have to click the source link for some modules just because they didn't
document every enum member. Including all publicly accessible symbols[1]
in the doc by default would very much improve the readability there, IMHO.

[1]: That includes e.g. protected class members of non-final classes,
not just those that are literally "public", by the way.