The Next Mainstream Programming Language: A Game Developer's

Craig Black craigblack2 at cox.net
Sun Jul 15 18:49:45 PDT 2007

"nonnymouse" <nonny at mouse.com> wrote in message
news:f7e9rb$2h8b$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Bruno Medeiros Wrote:
>
>> I doubt that many class-A games would use garbage collection if they had
>> the possibility (ie, the language supported it), even if the GC was a
>> very good one, Java VM like. The need for performance is too great for
>> that.
>
> I hate to call you out, but.. I happen to be working for a class-A games'
> company who are writing their latest title in C#.

Yeah it's not always wise to make broad statements like that.  But I think
he's still right if you are talking about most game engine developers.  I've
talked with a few of them myself and they are OBSESSED will performance.
You would think garbage collection was a four letter word.  That's not to
say game developers wouldn't use a scripting language or jitted language for
the game itself.  But usually it's a combination of C++ and scripted or
jitted code.  Your company may be the exception.  Was your game engine was
written entirely in C#?  I'm also curious, what genre is this game?

-Craig