The Next Mainstream Programming Language: A Game Developer'sPerspective:: Redux

BCS BCS at pathlink.com
Wed Jul 18 11:43:44 PDT 2007

Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> BCS wrote:
>
>> Reply to Pragma,
>>
>>> There are moments where I wish I could think *like* Rain Man,
>>> especially when it comes to concurrency.
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> If nothing else, it illustrates that there's something
>>> extraordinary about such abilities that may be permanently
>>> out-of-reach for normal people, despite the fact that some people are
>>> just born that way.
>>>

>> I have wondered if this is something like incomputableity with regards
>> to a Turing machine. Might the normal brain be like a Turing machine
>> and the autistic brain be something like a brain not limited in the
>> same way? Given that some people can, for instance, identify large
>> primes in near constant time, I'd say this is a distinct possibility.
>>
>> At risk of sounding politically incorrect; does anyone known of an
>> autistic person who might be interested in learning programming?
>>

> Autism is not synonymous with savantism, which is what you where
> thinking of.

No, I was not necessary thinking of savantism. More generally I was
thinking about people whose brains function abnormally. This covers
autism, savantism, insanity, Psychopathy and genius[*] among others.
Autism just happens to be (if I understand correctly) the more profound
and general (savantism seems to be a subset) abnormality with regards to
the type of intellect associated with CS style tasks.

* If you ask me, insanity is where the brain works differently and it
get in the way, genius is where the brain works differently and it
helps. They are not mutually exclusive and if fact probably correlate
quite well.