The Next Mainstream Programming Language: A Game Developer'sPerspective:: Redux

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Thu Jul 19 03:58:33 PDT 2007

BCS wrote:
> Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> BCS wrote:
>>
>>> Reply to Pragma,

>>> [...]
>>>>

>>> I have wondered if this is something like incomputableity with
>>> regards to a Turing machine. Might the normal brain be like a Turing
>>> machine and the autistic brain be something like a brain not limited
>>> in the same way? Given that some people can, for instance, identify
>>> large primes in near constant time, I'd say this is a distinct
>>> possibility.
>>>
>>> At risk of sounding politically incorrect; does anyone known of an
>>> autistic person who might be interested in learning programming?
>>>

>> Autism is not synonymous with savantism, which is what you where
>> thinking of.
>>

> No, I was not necessary thinking of savantism. More generally I was
> thinking about people whose brains function abnormally. This covers
> autism, savantism, insanity, Psychopathy and genius[*] among others.
> Autism just happens to be (if I understand correctly) the more profound
> and general (savantism seems to be a subset) abnormality with regards to
> the type of intellect associated with CS style tasks.
>
> * If you ask me, insanity is where the brain works differently and it
> get in the way, genius is where the brain works differently and it
> helps. They are not mutually exclusive and if fact probably correlate
> quite well.

Well, this conversation was centering on extraordinary abilities that
made a human be able to do computer-like calculations (processing large
amounts of input instantly, calculating primes, etc.).
That is savantism, not autism. Autism is a wide variety or mental and
behavioral disorders (which savantism is a part of), most of them are
not very pleasant or even programming-friendly. You should check
wikipedia and the web, because autism is kinda of a fuzzy term, and it
took me a while to start understanding it, since it seems some people
use the term with slightly different (and possibly incorrect) meanings.
For instance, one of my AI/Agents teacher used the term autism as if it
meant "not processing external output" which is hardly autism. I also
don't think autism in general is a "type of intellect associated with CS
style tasks", although some of it's sub-disorders may be (which then?).

(There was a fellow in the D NG some time ago who had Asperger's
Syndrome, an autism disorder, but again, autism is not what you were
looking for)

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student