Why isn't DSSS ('s net portion) more widely used?

torhu fake at address.dude
Mon Jun 4 01:24:39 PDT 2007

Robert Fraser wrote:
> DSSS seems like a great tool, but only a very small subset of available D libraries are installable via it. I can see it turning into something like CPAN, where you can easily get a module and its required dependencies, without really having to worry about version compatibility, etc, etc. Any ideas on why it's not more widely used?

For us Windows users, tools like these are a bit foreign.  Probably in
part because they are command line based, and windows is a bit limited
in that department.  But I also like to know exactly what I'm
downloading, where it's installed etc.  Any kind of automated
downloading or installation makes that harder.  But it's probably a lot
easier once you've gotten used to the tool, be it DSSS or whatever.  I
just don't see it as worth the brain power right now.  Maybe I never
will.  On linux, where the command line is the natural command center, I
might have used dsss all the time, who knows.

Just having all D related downloads under D:\zips\programming\D\ on my
HD is great, because I can just browse that folder if I can't remember
the name of a tool or library I know I used a year ago.  It's all very
basic and human-friendly.  Taking the time to figure out how to use a
new debugger seems a better investment of time, I already know how to
download files and how to build D apps without much trouble.

The only library I work on is DAllegro.  It's built by bud (considering
switching to just batch files) on windows and gnu make on linux and OS
X.  Maybe I'll make it retrievable through dsss net, but it seems wrong
to require a language-specific build tool for something that's so simple
to build.  But the download part could be a way to get more linux people
to try it out.  Of course, having to still download the required C
library to link with might defeat the purpose.  But maybe DSSS can do
that to?

I don't mean to bash on dsss, I'm just explaining why I'm not using it
myself.  Except for building Tioport SWT and tangobos, that is.  I wish
people would explain to me why they don't use DAllegro, but I'm guessing
the answer is "SDL for teh win".  So be it.

Maybe if DSSS' net feature was hooked up to dsource.org somehow?  It
could download the autogenerated zips of specific revisions of the
projects.  For all I know, this is already possible.