Deprecate -v1 ?

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 08:18:59 PDT 2007

With the recent branch in compilers for D1 and D2, it looks to me that
there are now at least three versions of D:

D version 1 as (sort of) defined by the -v1 switch
D1 stable branch
D2 branch

Furthermore, I've seen comments that dmd 1.014 introduced some
incompatibilities with previous releases, and therefor a compiler
version between dmd 1.0 and dmd 1.013 was used.

Because the branching is essentially an altenative for the -v1 switch,
the D1 branch is likely to remain stable and receive bug fixes, doesn't
it make sense to have only one version of D1 and thus deprecate D -v1?

There may be other solutions, but the difference between D1 with and
without -v1 may be confusing. What do you think?