Deprecate -v1 ?

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Tue Jun 19 08:10:44 PDT 2007

Lutger wrote:
> With the recent branch in compilers for D1 and D2, it looks to me that
> there are now at least three versions of D:
>
> D version 1 as (sort of) defined by the -v1 switch
> D1 stable branch
> D2 branch
>
> Furthermore, I've seen comments that dmd 1.014 introduced some
> incompatibilities with previous releases, and therefor a compiler
> version between dmd 1.0 and dmd 1.013 was used.

Header generation in 1.014 and beyond generates "ref" where "inout" was
generated previously.  That caused problems for a while.  Also, I
suppose it's worth mentioning that 1.015 and beyond have TypeInfo for
"const" and "invariant", which suggests that either some of the const
features are in D 1.0, or the addition was a mistake.  These classes
weren't added to Tango, but they are in Phobos.

> Because the branching is essentially an altenative for the -v1 switch,
> the D1 branch is likely to remain stable and receive bug fixes, doesn't
> it make sense to have only one version of D1 and thus deprecate D -v1?

It does to me.

Sean