Pop3 connection with D

BCS BCS at pathlink.com
Thu Mar 8 17:47:55 PST 2007

> Sean Kelly wrote:
>
>> Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) wrote:
>>

>>> Stepping through was of course possible and useful. The main
>>> difference was that stepping through manually-written code was
>>> replaced by stepping through the more compact templated code. The
>>> instantiation types are different and therefore different actual
>>> binary code maps to the same source line.
>>

>> It sounds like you're describing debugging C++ template code.  Would
>> the same thing be possible with code generated from strings in D via
>> mixin?  I suppose the compiler could output source files to pair with
>> the object files, but beyond that I don't see how this could be done.
>

> Shriram Krishnamurthi has done work on macros that allow traceability
> back to the source code of the macro, but probably that won't be doable
> for string-generated code.
>
> We need to devise a solution to that; for example, for each file blah.d
> that contains mixins, the compiler could automatically generate
> blah.d.expanded and make debugging info point into that file.
>

> Andrei

Assuming somthing like my dparse is used, another choice is to, inside
of the static foreaches put in a debug block that assigns the values of
the template variables to local variables then you can look at them in
the debugger and figure out what state you are in.

I /realy/ need to get a debugger and see what happens when I step
throught some of this stuff. <G>