Feedback on bug reports

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Mar 16 18:34:03 PDT 2007

torhu wrote:

>>> It's a one-man project, so the reason there's not much feedback is
>>> shortage of manpower.  It's just the way it is, we've all had to get
>>> used to this fact.  A one-man project that creates free products can't
>>> provide the same level of customer support that a commercial project
>>> can.  Hope this explains it.
>>
>> Thanks, I agree. But I think it somehow also lies on the topic. There are
>> topics, which get attention immediately, and there are others, which
>> never.
>>
>> The point is, just like in case of bug reports, to get some feedback.
>> Let it
>> be even a single line.
>>
>> If you have a community around your project, it is necessary to
>> communicate
>> with them. Or just define some rules, if you don't have time for it.
>> E.g. I
>> don't answer mails, newsgroup post, except for...
>>
>> The worst can happen to enthusiast users that they get ignored. This
>> makes
>> also the recommendation of D questionable.
>>
>> My suggestion addressed this kind of situation at bug reports. And the
>> impression is (maybe the truth is totally different) that nobody cares.
>
> I fully agree with you.  I expect the situation will improve sooner or
> later, forced by increasing adoption of D.  How it's going to happen
> remains to be seen.

I was watching this Google Tech talk:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4216011961522818645&q=poisonous+people
from the guys who run Subversion.

One of the things they mention in there is the importance of
responsiveness, and they suggest that some member of the project should
be made responsible for addressing all issues that come into the mailing
lists that seem to get dropped.

That's great for a truly open-source project, but the problem with that
suggestion for D is that no-one besides Walter, and maybe now Andrei, is
really a "member" of this project.  No one besides Walter has any
ownership, so nobody really has any more obligation (or authority) to
respond to posts than anyone else.  There probably are people here who
would step up to the plate and take on such responsibility if they were
given some authority, but no-one has such authority now.  Especially if
you want to know "why isn't bug 2345 being fixed?".  No-one knows that
besides Walter.  So if someone is going to communicate that to you it
has to be someone who has Walter's ear.

As it is, only Walter (and maybe Andrei) really know what's going on,
and it mostly goes on behind closed doors.  That's another thing that
the subversion guys talk about in that video -- they say that wherever
decisions are made in the svn project --- irc, face-to-face meetings,
wherever --- they aren't ever considered "official" until they've been
posted to the mailing list for all to see.

The upshot is that D just isn't really an open source project.  The
source part (to the front end) is open, but the project part is not.
And that's fine.  Stuff still gets done.  If you don't like it that way,
then it's certainly something to consider when deciding whether to base
your future on D.  It doesn't bother me too much because even if Walter
got hit by a bus, D 1.009 works pretty well for what I need, and I'm not
basing any sort of commercial venture on D.  Though if Walter did get
hit by a bus I'd probably stop writing D code pretty soon after, because
without Walter, D doesn't have much future.

--bb