Automated page translation with Google

Roberto Mariottini rmariottini at mail.com
Fri Mar 23 04:16:28 PDT 2007

Max Samukha wrote:
[...[

> I suggest people in the NG have the D site's front page autotranslated
> into their language. I just say no to Russian translation. Some
> extracts translated back into English:
>
> "Michael the Great is the only thing I need."
> "Segfualt D is the language of systems."  (I like this one:))
> Portablility turns into mobility, of course...
> "metaprogramming styles" - "styles of the zodiac"...
>
> How about other languages?

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.digitalmars.com%2Fd%2F&langpair=en%7Cit&hl=en&ie=UTF8

LOL:

"web" -> "photoreceptor" (???)
"just what I need" -> "Only a moment ago what I need"
"supporting imperative, object oriented, and template metaprogramming
styles" -> "styles imperative metaprogramming, objectively oriented and
of the supporting (thin metal plate with a cut pattern)"
"D change log" -> "D changes the log (of wood)"
"tech tips" -> "ends of technology"
"Issues and bugs" -> "Editions and insects"
"Code coverage" -> "Coding the filling"
"Last update Sun Feb 4 12:10:26 2007" -> "Last sun (the star) Feb 4 12
of the update: 10: 26 2007"
"Home" -> "Domestic"

Some error is only a little misleading:

"download" -> "transfer from the central system to the satellites"
"Exception safety" -> "Exceptional safety"
"(programming) language" -> "(natural) language"

Some sentences are completely without a meaning.
Note also that the whole example is on one single line.

As a side note, I can say the translator keeps getting better, decade by
decade. It got right: "Programming language" and "Style guide", while
"Debugger" is translated as "adjustment/tuning program" (the right
translation is "debugger"). Maybe in 30-60 years it can produce
acceptable output.

Ciao