Automated page translation with Google

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Mar 27 12:11:27 PDT 2007

Roberto Mariottini wrote:
> That's your side of the medal. Since most translation software is made
> by English-speaking people, translating from some other language to
> English works better than the reverse.

I can believe that.

> In my experience the reverse doesn't work at all.
>
> It's not a miracle when "web" is translated as "photoreceptor", or any
> other funny word. The main D page translated in Italian makes no sense,
> so it helps no-one having it.

I don't know Italian, but I've worked with German electronics tech stuff
auto-translated to English. You quickly figure out that "river" really
means "electric current", and "tension" really means "voltage". If your
interest is getting your work done, the translators really are an aid.

It's surprising how little of a hint one really needs in order to get
the information you need out of a chunk of foreign language text. When I
worked with the Japanese tech manuals, not only was there no translation
software, the stuff was not even in the roman alphabet, but I was able
to crack it by looking at the diagrams and things that are universal,
like hex numbers, "RS-232", etc.