Newsgroups & Discussions

Alexander Panek a.panek at brainsware.org
Sat Mar 31 14:34:04 PDT 2007

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Alexander Panek wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Looking at this in hindsight, we've seen worse here. At one time folks
> were almost lynching Walter, and now that I think about it, actually on
> more than one occasion, with different reasons each time. I myself was
> with the mob a few times (blush)! This time the target seems to be Andrei.
>
> Sifting through what's been recently written, I find (totally IMHO, of
> course), instead of what's been said, I think the main reason has
> remained undiscovered -- both by spectators, the plaintiffs, and the
> "accused".
>
> Whenever my ex used to kick my ass, it turned out to be about something
> else. Most of the time she didn't know this herself, until I let the
> dust settle and walk it through with her.

Heh, yea. Sounds familiar.

> [...]
> Yes, the center of D development, visions, and influence has shifted.
> But I think this came at the right time. Honestly, guys, we couldn't
> have brought D much further -- simply because we lack the now needed
> qualities (listed above).
>
> Now, as far as Tango goes, I think it is a formidable enterprise, and I
> honestly think that without Tango, D's future looks, er, less than
> shiny. (See, I avoided the pun!)
>
> That Kris and even John (I almost soiled myself!) are on the barricades,
> IMHO, simply tells us that a lot of communicating has happened outside
> this NG, and that Alexei hasn't been there. But that's simple group
> dynamics. Whenever a person in controversy is not around, any group of
> people sooner or later start harboring adverse feelings about him -- if
> they regularly meet without him.
>
> So, again IMHO, this is no biggie, just the unavoidable result of the
> above stated history.
>
> If we see it as it is, and contemplate a moment about it, I'd guess
> everybody shrugs and the issue is buried. D doesn't need that kind of
> animosity -- especially when it's not genuinely about the persons at
> all, only about the "shift in power".

I agree, with almost everything (not to say everything). The only thing
that concerns me is, that with the ongoing development and less
centralized communication in the NG, it might come to weird
circumstances where people just start bugging each other, stepping on
one another's feet, or what not. This is totally okay, up to some
extent, yet we have a few leading people here in the D community - lets
stick with their names: Walter, Andrei, Kris, Sean, Lars Ivar, and so on
- who have their opinion and visions how to make D shine. I don't want
to see them going into completely different directions because of
personal disagreements led to by late-night discussions filled with
aggression.

D can do better than that! I know this, I've seen this, I don't want to
lose this, and I do think neither the above listed want this, nor any
other people actively participating this newsgroup, or some projects
that are not even known here.

I have a reason for greeting people in #D with "D nation". It may be
just a language, but most people using D and participating in either
way, are very knowledgable and especially nice people. Even though the
amount of people using D is growing, as well as the channel btw.,
there's this core of people here on the newsgroup, discussing features,
problems and what not else. This core of people are split into two
parties at the moment. Those who use and defend Tango, and those who use
and defend Phobos (it seems). I really don't like this. It's, as said,
not only a pinch of salt thrown into the NG, but a whole sack of salt.

This may have happened already, but that's no reason to do it again, aye? :)

Kind regards,
Alexander Panek