Rob Pike's Newsqueak - some good concepts

eao197 eao197 at intervale.ru
Sat May 19 11:46:02 PDT 2007

On Sat, 19 May 2007 13:32:02 +0400, noname
<noname at lolrofl.fakeaddress.net> wrote:

> It is surprising how much difference in performance there is between
> implementations of concurrency (mutexes and threads) between different
> languages.
>
> If I refer to this:
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=chameneos&lang=all
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=message&lang=all
>
> Haskell seems to perform the best, while Java and C++ (pthreads) are
> mediocre. D seems to be doing not too bad.

Some languages (like Erlang and Haskell) don't use native thread. They use
their own threading models (like green threads) which much more efficient
in such tests. But green threads could block all application if some
thread is doing some long time blocking operation (like blocking I/O).

And some implementation of tests in The Great Language Shootout have
serious bugs so don't trust those results too much.

--
Regards,
Yauheni Akhotnikau