-debug and -release

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Sun May 27 14:46:45 PDT 2007

On Sun, 27 May 2007 20:25:18 +0000 (UTC), Manfred Nowak wrote:

> Daniel Keep wrote
>
>> Reading the documentation makes it pretty clear what -debug and
>> -release do.
>
> Alright. But that should hold for every peace of documentation.

Of course it should, but because it doesn't apply to some parts of the D
documentation does not mean that it therefore doesn't apply to all of the D
documentation.

The docs re -debug and -release are fairly accurate and complete even
though other areas are well below what is needed.

> Under
> this argument one can use names without any meaning or that language
> from "1984".
>
> I think Walters faible for avoiding negations released this option
> under the name "-release" to the public.
>
> But from formal languages one should know, that some language
> categories are not closed under complement. Therefore trying to avoid
> generic complements by always using a positive description might turn
> out to be hard to understand, because that positive descriptuion might
> fall into a language category with higher computational needs.

Rough translation: "-release" is a poor choice for this functionality.

I agree, but I've gotten used to it now.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia