-debug and -release

janderson askme at me.com
Sun May 27 23:10:12 PDT 2007

Charlie wrote:
> I dislike how -release strips out contracts, its often valuable to have
> contracts left in even in a release build.  I believe the front end even
> has specific flags for disabling contracts and asserts, I don't think
> Walter accepted the user submitted patch though.

I agree in part.  I think there should be debug, release, and final.
Final should have all assets removed but they should remain in release.
  If you still want them in final then the user should specify -unittest.

In general I see a release as something you release internally to QA and
other users.  Final is something you send to a publisher or to the public.

Another thing.  Often I've seen 3 types of runtime-assets.
assert //debug only
release_assert
final_assert