Toiby; #14 an rising

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 12:21:02 PST 2007

Jeff Nowakowski wrote:
> BCS wrote:
>> It's a informal scoring system, Also while it may not indicate
>> anything it may well generate interest in D.
>
> In other words, it's shallow marketing bullshit.  It's sad to see so
> much fixation on this in the D community.
>
> -Jeff

If marketing is just shallow bullshit, why do people spend billions on it?

TIOBE is fun to watch, even if it doesn't mean anything, and I can use
it to market it to my friends and colleagues ("See? Other people are
using it, it's rather popular. It's not just a great language with no
community."). It makes it more likely that others will use D, which
means more open source libraries for me to exploit.

So it may be shallow marketing bullshit, or at least not accurate to any
appreciable or useful degree, but it's useful even so.