Phango

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 15 15:09:55 PST 2007

On 11/15/07, Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just an FYI, some of us are working on a D 2.x compatible version of Tango.

Yeah, well that's kind of what I did. I took the source in the "tango"
dir (i.e. not the "std" dir, not "object.d"), and then did

    foreach(example)
        while(does not compile)
            fix_first_error()

> Basically the hard part is adding const.

I noticed. I liberally added const and invariant everywhere I could
get away with it. It takes some fine tuning to get it right. D strings
are invariant now, so I had to throw in some idups in places where I
couldn't prove to myself that the original was actually unique.

I also changed toUtf to toString, and changed all the module names to lowercase.

> It's not release-ready yet, but I'm hoping once Walter has fixed const, we
> should be able to finish the port.

I'm working with 2.007. I assume it will be not too hard to upgrade.

> Of course, it does not use Phobos...

Mine does. I specifically do not use Tango's object.d, nor anything in
Tango's std. I'm importing phobos and my bastardised version of Tango
simultaneously.

It's actually quite fun.