Phango - questions

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 18 15:07:05 PST 2007

On 11/18/07, Jeff Nowakowski <jeff at dilacero.org> wrote:
> For the record, what you said was in this posting:
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/Re_D_Conference_Tango_Phobos_58225.html#N58577
>
> "Module names in mixed case!? Did the Tango folk not read the D style
> guide where it says "Module and package names are all lower case, and
> only contain the characters [a..z][0..9][_]", or did they just
> purposefully decide to avoid it? If the former, that was amateurish;
> if the latter, it was petty."

Ooh thank you. Well, that clarifies it.

So yes, the core body of code in Tango is excellent. The engine that
does all the work is a fantastic bit of software, and not in the least
bit amateurish.

So you'll notice that in the quote quoted above, the condition in the
if statement is false, so in fact it's the else branch that runs. My
statement boiled down to the opinion that the /decision/ to ignore the
style guide was petty. Note that the criticism was of the decision,
not the people making it. And actually, I do that to deliberately go
against the style guide was somewhat petty. It's a rival product,
after all.

> "My apologies if I come across as contentious. I realise I'm a newbie
> in this group. But that is the first impression I get from looking at
> the Tango docs.

Thanks also for including that bit. Yes we only talking about a first
impression here anyway. But I understand now that weren't looking for
first impressions.

> Can you stop
> trading barbs and agree that you both got overly personal?

I think it's more that words were /taken/ personally when they were
not intended as such. I know that I have never criticised any
individual, and never would. I have only ever talked about software,
and design decisions. I have too much respect for individuals ever to
use "barbs".