Phango - questions

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Mon Nov 19 02:53:18 PST 2007

Kris wrote:
> "Don Clugston" <dac at nospam.com.au> wrote in message
>
>> Kris -
>> I think there's a legitimate concern here which you've been ignoring. It
>> would be helpful to give some background as to why Tango uses the
>> conventions it does. And my guess is that the primary reason Tango uses
>> the conventions it does, is that you have a Java background!
>
> Sure I'm familiar with Java, Don. But I'm also familiar with Simula, Pascal,
> Modula, Ada, C#, etc. To claim that Tango is driven by a Java background is
> being more than a tad superficial :)
>
> Now I'm interested: where did you get that notion from, Don? Perhaps because
> I used it as an example at the conference?

You may recall I made the same assumption a few years back until you put
me right :)

I think it's the (what I would call) heavy use of classes and
interfaces, a very OO style if you will, which to my mind (and I may be
strange) says "Java" to me.  In actual fact C++ code can be written in
the same fashion but it can also be written in what I would call a "C
with classes" style.

It's hard to put ones finger on the reasons but that is the impression I
got and it seems Don had the same impression so there must be something
to it... even if that something is that both of us had the same weird
and random thought.

Regan