Phango - questions

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Mon Nov 19 03:32:38 PST 2007

Kris wrote:
> "Don Clugston" <dac at nospam.com.au> wrote in message
>
>> Kris -
>> I think there's a legitimate concern here which you've been ignoring. It
>> would be helpful to give some background as to why Tango uses the
>> conventions it does. And my guess is that the primary reason Tango uses
>> the conventions it does, is that you have a Java background!
>
> Sure I'm familiar with Java, Don. But I'm also familiar with Simula, Pascal,
> Modula, Ada, C#, etc. To claim that Tango is driven by a Java background is
> being more than a tad superficial :)

Perhaps it's not Java at all, but rather "curly brace languages other than
C/C++". For a C++ programmer, the Tango style looks very foreign, and (to me, a
non-Java programmer) feels like Java. And the Phobos style feels much more familiar.
But I also think (as a non-C# programmer) that C# also looks similar to Java
(and similarly foreign).

This isn't a criticism in any way (as an expat, I spend most of my life feeling
foreign!), just an observation. Most of the unfavourable comments about the
Tango style seem to be coming from C++ programmers, and I think it's related to
what they (we) are used to.

> Now I'm interested: where did you get that notion from, Don? Perhaps because
> I used it as an example at the conference?

Long before that. You've mentioned Java a fair bit over the years. I remember
that you didn't come from C++, anyway.