Proposal: digitalmars.D.tango newsgroup

David Wilson dw at botanicus.net
Mon Nov 19 08:37:06 PST 2007

On 11/19/07, Alexander Panek <alexander.panek at brainsware.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure whether I proposed this before, but I do see a necessity
> for this. Even though there are forums and the ticketing system on
> dsource, the main discussions are going on on IRC, which is a fairly
> frail medium of communication.

> Given the latest discussions, rants and whatnot, a dedicated forum for
> Tango users and contributors within the context of D's official
> website, as well as its main medium of discussion - evidently the
> newsgroups -, would provide a possibility of better communication
> between rest-of-the-world and Tango (as in: the entirety of users,
> contributors, critics, etc.).

Something similar was recently discussed in Linux land, where some
kernel hackers were complaining because the existence of multiple
lists divides peoples' attention and ultimately results in patches
getting dropped or important conversations being missed.

 - http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/258550/6950d776964265cb/
   (search for "the use of mailing lists")

Another example from Linux land was the fact that Con Kolivas' recent
scheduler patch was ultimately dropped, with some in the kernel camp
claiming this was partially due to development taking place on a
separate list, and that user reports of good performance from the
patch not being seen (they were going to the separate list).

 - http://apcmag.com/6735/interview_con_kolivas

Creating another list may also foster more of an "us and them"
mentality, with the "us" being Tango, and "them" being the D
community, which for our size, would really be a shameful thing.

I'm personally of the "search, don't sort" mentality and would see
further newsgroups/lists as more administrative hassle, as I suspect
most people who'd subscribe to the new list would also (Tango lovers
are also D lovers, but the converse isn't true).

Certainly, without filtering I would have unsubscribed from here
several weeks ago. :)

In any case I'm happy as long as whatever you choose doesn't involve a
web interface. Mail/news only please. :D

David.