Proposal: Make [][x] and [][a..b] illegal (reserve for multidimensional arrays)

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 23 06:47:28 PST 2007

"Oskar Linde" <oskar.lindeREM at OVEgmail.com> wrote in message
news:fi6b93$1rsa$1 at digitalmars.com...
<snip>
> It has been there quite some time. Since the introduction of $ in DMD
> 0.116 in fact. I've been toying with __dollar before, it just never
> occurred to me that it could be used as a global identifier in this way.
>
> I leave to Walter to answer whether it is an intentional feature or not.
> The front end sources doesn't make that very clear.

>From what I can tell, no:
- it doesn't seem to be documented
- it begins with __, indicating that it's part of the implementation rather
than the standard language

As such, I expect that it's a DMD-specific hack, and a consequence of the
way $ is implemented rather than something that was meant to be exposed to
the end programmer.

But indeed, only Walter can confirm.

Stewart.

--
My e-mail address is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies
on the 'group where everybody may benefit.