Bitfield structs and suggestion

David B. Held dheld at codelogicconsulting.com
Sat Nov 24 19:00:32 PST 2007

Nick B wrote:
> [...]
> As no one else if volunteering at present,
> I would like to suggest the following.
>
> You create one document that covers the following:
>
> 1. Detail exactly the Bitfield functionality what you require (you
>    seem to know this better than anyone on this list);
> 2. Address why the language _needs_  this functionality;
> 2. Describe the target audience of the said feature(s);
> 3. Make a pitch as to the _number_ of additional users/projects who
>    might join the "D" community as a result of said features.
> [...]

Before anyone spends too much time on this, it might be worth relating a
tidbit that a little bird told me (yes, it happened just like a Disney
movie): an imminent release of D is going to contain bitfield support
(though not necessarily looking like any of the suggestions /
implementations proposed here).

Dave

P.S.  If you plan to use little birds as target practice for your .22,
may I suggest you wait to see if the bird has anything to say, first?