The GUI to end all GUI libraries (Let's Dream!)

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Mon Nov 26 18:22:40 PST 2007

0ffh wrote:
> Lutger wrote:
>> Another interesting idea is immediate mode gui. It basically means
>> that no or almost no state is maintained, at least as far as the user
>> is concerned. Instead, the gui is recreated as needed. I've been
>> playing a bit with it and it works nicely, but somehow I had some
>> trouble with more complex gui's.
>>
>> Here's a link, the video is worth it imo:
>>
>> https://mollyrocket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=134
>
> Recently on IRC:
>
> [02:17] <*******> it will have arbitrary theming, backends/rendering
> engines, probably arbitrary shapes for windows and widgets, easy new
> widget creation, immediate mode interface, will be extremely
> configurable, etc, etc :P

Sounds quite feature-full.  But noticeably lacking is any mention of how
messaging and state management will work.  To me that's the real heart
of it.  You can always gussy up a GUI with pretty themes later, but if
the notification and state management mechanisms aren't solid, then
actually coding with it will always be painful.

--bb