The GUI to end all GUI libraries (Let's Dream!)

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Nov 28 15:59:07 PST 2007

0ffh wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Sounds quite feature-full.  But noticeably lacking is any mention of
>> how messaging and state management will work.  To me that's the real
>> heart of it.  You can always gussy up a GUI with pretty themes later,
>> but if the notification and state management mechanisms aren't solid,
>> then actually coding with it will always be painful.
>
> Seems like "event processing will be done like in harmonia, that is, thru
> sinking and bubbling.

Harmonia was in its death throes when I came on the scene, so I don't
know much about it.

> the default rendering engine will be OpenGL +
> FreeType2.

Ok, so it's a game GUI then.  Not too likely to become the "GUI to end
all GUI libraries" then, but maybe the game GUI to end all game GUI
libraries.  I'm interested int that, but I'd also like to have something
with at least real native menus, popup windows, text widgets (for I18N
text), and dialog boxes.  Maybe they have some plan for that, though.

themes will be defined using css-alike configs, but they will
> be able to completely redefine what compound widgets (like buttons) are.
> /the api will be insane/". [my italics]

I'm not sure insanity is something to strive for in an API...  unless
you are a Perl coder, maybe.

> We can confirm that here: http://paste.dprogramming.com/dphz72yh
>
> Is a sample of approximately how it will look like to use it... =)
>
> regards, frank

It looks like the code from those Polish game guys' GUI.  I never can
remember the name -- team Decad3nce or something.  It also looks to be
an immediate mode GUI.

Very interesting, anyway.  Should be good for game GUIs.  Looking
forward to a more formal announcement.

--bb