Please stop polluting D 2.0 with C/C++ programmer assumptions.

Tomas Lindquist Olsen tomas at famolsen.dk
Thu Nov 29 08:12:11 PST 2007

Craig Black wrote:
> "Tomas Lindquist Olsen" <tomas at famolsen.dk> wrote in message
>>
>> 1) Remove the support for C style declaration.
>
> If you are talking about C style declaration for array types I think D 1.0
> has this feature as well.  I think Walter wants it to be friendlier for C++
> folks so there will hopefully be more converts.  It does clutter the
> language a little but it's not a big deal IMO.

Also function pointer declarations. Yes I know this is already in D 1.0, but that doesn't make
it right IMHO.

>> 2) Make suffix const the only way to declare a const method.
>
> I don't know why Walter allows prefix const for methods.  It is a little
> confusing IMO.

Very confusing IMHO.

>> 3) Stop assuming C++ programmers wants D to feel like C++.
>> 4) Please...
>>
>> This stuff is killing me! For the first time in D2.0 history I'm feeling
>> it's on the right track, but things like:
>>
>> class C {
>> const const int[] func();
>> }
>>
>> class ClassInfo {
>> void (*classInvariant)(Object);
>> }
>
> What is this about anyway?  I don't understand it's significance.

It was just some code examples of things I really dislike.

IMHO all this stuff just complicate the language (think frontend implementors). Also it means
that probably someone will use it. Can't help but feel sorry for the D coders reading that code
who do *not* come from a C/C++ background.