DMD 1.022 and 2.005 releases

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sat Oct 6 11:39:50 PDT 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> For what it's worth, Tango will never choose to run exclusively on the
> Phobos runtime.  One of the primary reasons many people choose Tango is
> for its threading package, and this is a runtime feature.  Therefore,
> dropping this package to use the Phobos version would be foolish, and I
> suspect that it would leave a number of Tango users (some developing
> professional software) in a bit of a lurch.

The threading package in Phobos is not very good, as it is based on my
very poor understanding of the problem. Drop kicking std.thread is
certainly open for discussion for v2. I wouldn't shed a tear for it <g>.

Another thing that needs design work is the shared library issue on
Linux. The compiler supports the -fPIC switch, so theoretically, the
compiler is there. But the library ain't.